Diploma of Interpreting
Diploma of Interpreting prepares you to facilitate communication between speakers of two different languages.
Interpreters play an important role in the fields of business, politics, healthcare etc. With the increase in migrants, demand for interpreters has risen significantly.
Students will learn interpreting skills in different settings, ethics of the profession and will enhance their skills in English language and LOTE (Language Other Than English) of their choice.
- CRICOS CODE: 094884C
- Duration: 24 Weeks
- Course fee: $6,000 AUD
- Intake: Monthly
- Languages Available: Bangla, Urdu, Nepali, Hindi, Punjabi, Mandarin
- Saturday: 08:00 am - 06:30 pm
- Sunday: 08:00 am - 06:30 pm
* Timetables are subject to change based on the number of students enrolled in EGI courses.
- Age: at least 18 years
- Successful completion of Year 12; or
- EGI placement test: Oral language proficiency test in English and LOTE (Language Other Than English)
- English Language
- IELTS (Academic) overall band 6 with no band less than 5.5 in Reading and Writing and 6 in each subsection of Listening and Speaking or equivalent score in PTE, TOEFL
Alternative English Entry Requirements:
Students may be accepted if they have successfully completed a Vocational qualification at a Diploma level or above in Australia, The United Kingdom, The United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or The Republic of Ireland or can otherwise demonstrate the required minimum English proficiency. Those who do not meet the English requirements can be referred to English Language Centres to complete intensive courses in English prior to commencing their award courses at ECA Graduate Institute. The length of these English courses varies The length of these English courses varies typically from 4 to 20 weeks.
Unit of Competency:
|Unit Code||Unit Name|
|PSPTIS001||Apply codes and standards to ethical practice|
|PSPTIS002||Build glossaries for translating and interpreting assignments|
|PSPTIS003||Prepare to translate and interpret|
|PSPTIS040||Interpret in general dialogue settings (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS041||Interpret in general monologue settings (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS042||Manage discourses in general settings|
|PSPTIS043||Use routine subject area terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS100||Apply codes and standards to professional judgment|
|PSPTIS101||Negotiate translating and interpreting assignments|
|PSPTIS048||Use routine legal terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS046||Use routine education terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|